Thursday, February 17, 2011

Flying Back El-Al

2/17/11

I woke to ghosts:
men draped in white, swaying
in the aisle, thumbing through prayers.

I am returning (leaving?)

Last month my parents rushed to fill
a nest that was rapidly unweaving.
When I arrived, we desperately clung
to the frame.

Home became a verb
whose infinitive I almost
forgot the meaning of.
I burnt the bottom of an uncooked challah,
misplaced new dishes in old cupboards.
Tried to reclaim
what had grown without me.

I embraced Woodbridge winter:
driving past cemeteries
with tombstones peeking through
snow like a teething earth.
Frigid air perfumed with burning wood.

Now, sitting on a wing
gliding at 35000 feet,
I am ready to re-own a place:
The dumpster cat
with eyes as black as Turkish coffee mud,
slices of kugel served at klezmer,
the Slow Saturdays.

The ghosts have removed
their sheets and now fold
them to fit into velvet bags.
We sip water
pre-packaged like applesauce--
a reminder of how this far up
we are self-sustained.

No comments:

Post a Comment