Saturday, June 18, 2011

"If you be a lympho, i'll be a lympho"



If the body is a temple, then mine is the Second temple. Like the Beit HaMigdash, my purity was poisoned by an enemy...a microscopic military desecrated the hallowed hallways of my sanctuary, my veins.
Friday night I hosted 12 people for Shabbat dinner in my apartment. I complained to my friends about this itchy thing on my hand that looked like a popped blood vessel. They reassured me it was only a bug bite as they proceeded to devour my challah. The itching and swelling woke me up late saturday morning. From my inner wrist to my elbow, something was creating a trail through my veins.
The trail of tears.
It was hot and puffy. I calmly got out of bed. It was just me in the apartment so i ate a mango with museli. But my inner voice was pressuring me, "yo...you're eating granola while an unidentified pathogen is trailblazing through your forearm?!" I dressed my best, preparing for the worst: my American Apparel red hoodie and a headband. I made sure i packed my book and took a decent crap before going to the clinic (i wanted to be comfortable...who knows how long i'd be). Keep in mind, it was shabbat, so i had to hail a cab with an arm that looked like it had been crying in the bathroom for two hours. Was it blood poisoning, an alergic reaction, a parasite? The nurse took my temperature and blood pressure. Only Dr. Gazim knew what my prognosis was. He took one look at my arm. "Lymphangitis," he said, his Tom Selleck moustache twitching a little. Then he left.

okay...

He came back with a script, "Take two pills, three times a day for a week."
Then he left for real.
What's Lymphonjitiz? I wondered, What am i swallowing these pills for? Am i going to die at home surrounded by mango peels and museli crumbs with an arm consumed by red rash?
I went to the pharmacy that the receptionist said was open on Shabbat, but when i got there, i found my insurance policy was not supported by the drugstore. I paid out of pocket, took the pills, popped the first dose in my mouth, and said, "Salaam alaycum."
One hour and a 210-sheckel cab fare later, i got home and did some research:

Lymphangitis is an infection of the lymph vessels (channels). It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections.

I then began to read about signs, tests, and treatment. This is where Dr. Gazim fell short:

Signs and tests

The doctor will perform a physical exam, which includes feeling your lymph nodes. The doctor may look for signs of injury around swollen lymph nodes.

A biopsy and culture of the affected area may reveal the cause of the inflammation. Blood cultures may be done to see if the infection has spread to the bloodstream.

(I don't think he even touched me.)

Treatment

Lymphangitis may spread within hours. Treatment should begin promptly.

Treatment may include:

  • Antibiotics to treat any underlying infection

  • Analgesics to control pain. Nope.

  • Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce inflammation and swelling. Nope.

  • Warm moist compresses to reduce inflammation and pain. Nope.

Surgery may be needed to drain any abscess. Thank God, Nope.


I was mostly upset I didn't receive warm, moist compresses.


I'm fine. It's late. I finished "Bonnie and Clyde," and i'm going to sleep (until 8 when my alarm will wake me up for my pills...man, does that make me feel like Grandma Joyce). I'm going to the beach tomorrow. Shavuah tov.

Oh...i also did some other cool things this week, like having my work exhibited in our group's gallery showing, going to Jerusalem's Light Festival in the Old City, and making turkey neck soup for shabbat. Maybe i'll talk more about that later. Right now I need to itch my infamous inflammatory infection.

Morning update: My arm's still itchy, but the red line is barely visable. I took the antibiotics and had this trippy dream that I was tripping on antibiotics....kind of like in that boat tunnel scene in Willy Wonka..."there's no knowing where we're going..."


No comments:

Post a Comment