Thursday, June 9, 2011

This post will Wow your pants off.

I will post some remarkable things, but mostly unremarkable things.

Remarkable:

Went to a craaaazy concert on Israel's National Student Day. My friends and I stayed up thanks to unlimited, free Coke Zero (wait...does that mean it also has zero caffeine? It must have been placebo then). We saw the sun rise to the rhythmic, resonant rumblings of Balkan Beatbox. (If you replace all the B's in Balkan Beat Box with F's, you almost get a comprehensible set of words. Falkan [I'm thinking more, falcon] Feat Fox. Coolio.) I had no idea who the other bands that performed before were. I rode a mechanical bull. I got home at 8:30 AM. Aren't I cool? staying up late like that?

My achilles is better so I'm back at the gym.

Went to Afula for Shavuot on kibbutz Beit HaShitah with the Ahuvia family. It was quite a retreat. I ate cheesecake two nights in a row. Butter, butter, dairy, butter was the motto of the weekend. Delicious food in the company of a warm family. Berthe and Amir's daughter, son-in-law, and two little grandchildren were also there. Very cute. I wanted to tell them how cute they were. Except they only spoke Danish. So, I faked a little Danish accent and even picked up a few words. "Again" means again. "Yeah" means Yeah. "Tractor" means Tractor. "Angry Birds" means Angry Birds. Amir took us to Israel's national kite-surfing competition on a fishpond nearby. It was EXTREME! Later, I went to a Shavuot harvest ceremony in the field where the kibbutz children sang and performed. Then massive tractors and other agricultural equipment harvested the wheat crop before our very eyes! I left on Thursday morning very rested, my backpack weighed with jars of Berthe's homemade jam and fresh-picked corn from the fields.

Unremarkable:

I think I finished two paintings for our exhibition. The crab one, and the car crash. Those are the titles respectively.

I got kicked out of the Kotel AND the Church of the Holy Sepulcher because my skirt was a centimeter above my knees. Even though I was wearing a modest, long black cardigan, and there were plenty of other people dressed sluttier than I. One woman literally herded me out of the Kotel. She waved a "complimentary modesty shawl" at me like some bullfighter. Is that what you want? You call yourself a Jewess, Bat Yisroel? Fine. I'll go to church. Uh. Not welcomed there either.

I got some things back from the kiln. The intricate designs I painted on my ceramics became washed out after the glaze firing, and some of my pieces are mysteriously "lost". My pots are aesthetically disappointing, but they are functional! I drank a glass of water from one of my cups!

Saw three unremarkably remarkable things today:

- a naked kid running around the botanical gardens while his father was sleeping.
-a dead raven
- the pages of "Cages," by Dave McKean...the most beautiful graphic novel I have ever read.

Starting to think about packing. The thinking is scaring me. Imagine when I actually have to pack! 19 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment