Wednesday, June 6, 2012

my Present state in the State of Israel

I once lived in Israel, feeling the ebb and flow of Jewish daily life in outdoor markets, sardine-packed busses, and crowded streets.  I am visiting again, this time with the intention of gaining insight into a component of Israeli society I have not yet experienced: the professional world.  

I am interning for an organization called PresenTense.  I've found it really difficult to clearly explain to people the mission of the organization.  So maybe, if I type it, I'll know how to verbalize it.  PresenTense is an incubator for Jewish Social Entrepreneurs.  If you are an aspiring leader of a Jewish non-profit or for-profit organization, but you lack the resources to really get your organization rolling, PresenTense will provide you with funding, workshops, and other resources to make your vision a reality.   For example,  if you have a great idea for a social venture, PresenTense will rent you an office space, arrange meetings with more established, successful social entrepreneurs, and host conferences for other PresenTense-affiliated companies to exchange ideas.  PT operates throughout the world including the US, Israel, Moscow, South America, the UK, and more!  If you check out their website :  www.presentense.org , you can see what great things they have started and what an incredible organization this is.  

So, I know you're probably thinking...you're interning for this organization...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  Truth is, this is the first day.  I have no clear idea.  I will be doing some blogging and working with programming and communication.  I am in the office Sunday-Thursday 9AM-6PM, so hopefully, I will be making good use of this time.  
The concept of an internship does not exist in Israel.  Israelis go to the army, then start their careers.  There is no word for internship in Hebrew.  When I explain to Israelis what an internship is they reply, "WHAT? You work FOR FREE?  Is this work?  Why you do this?  TIME IS MONEY!"
So really, to Israelis, internships are not only non-existant in Israel, they seem pointless and for rich, American kids wanting to waste time.  There are two other interns with me here...one girl from Yale, and another guy from U Wisconsin.

I am on a program of a bunch of "rich americans wanting to waste time" with a group called Onward Boston.  There are 25 other participants.  They're all incredibly nice.  I'm a little bummed that I'm required to attend mandatory programming touring places I have already visited and some potentially-bogus lectures, but it's a great trade-off because this program is paid for (I just got 1000 shekel "food" stipend for the month!)  
I am staying in the center of Jerusalem. Which is convenient, because I am a 3 minute walk from the office and everything else in Jerusalem. It's a little disturbing because last night I was awakened at 3 AM by 30 or some-odd drunk Americans chanting "AM YISRAEL CHAI!!" at the top of their lungs for a half hour.  

On another note,  I left my israeli cell phone, camera, credit card, and adapters at home.  Honestly, my life has not been inconvenienced.  I bought an incredibly cheap, remedial cellphone for 150 shekels at PHONE ZOO, so now I feel a little safer at night.  I'm borrowing adapters from a friend.  
Overall, I'm really happy and comfortable here.  It's great to be able to hear and practice Hebrew in it's intended setting.  I remember how to get around from my gap year here.  It feels like I am visiting an old friend.  
I look forward to getting some of my writing published online, making connections, and getting a feel for what it's like to live and work in Israel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment